Education. Nonviolence. Love.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

In Honor Of World Peace Day - September 21

I probably haven’t written poetry in seven years,
since English class in High School.

But I have an immeasurable amount of passion welling up inside of me,
and I need a tool,

to share the truth I know,
because keeping it to myself would be acting like a fool.

The truth…
violence is cruel.

Whether it presents itself in thought, word, or action,
it puts you, it puts me, it puts humanity in a whirlpool

of shame and blame, anger and hunger, tension and destruction, fear and tears,
requiring us to refuel.

As Martin Luther King, Jr. said, “The choice is not between violence and nonviolence, but between nonviolence and nonexistence,”
a fact you can not overrule.

If we are to experience life, liberty, and happiness,
we must value love as a precious jewel.

So stand up
from your stool.

Decide to no longer look upon unity, forgiveness, and mutual responsibility
with ridicule.

And fuel yourself with the wisdom that
nonviolence is cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment